Go Back   BoxerHub > General Boxer Forums > Diet And Nutrition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Ron
Owner/Admin

Ron has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond reputeRon has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Much Chocolate Will It Take To Hurt A Dog?

To remove this ad please Register
With Easter here was thinking about this. Anyone know how much chocolate it actually takes to affect a dog?

-----------------------
Check out our sister site DobermanHub
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #2

KeeperBoy is on a distinguished road

I like this chart...

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...rt-interactive

I wouldn't give either of my two any chocolate just because once a dog tastes it they can get totally nutty for it. They already go CRAZY for popcorn so we don't need anymore vices!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #3

Dexter is on a distinguished road

My Nana's giant Schnauzer once demolished a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips he found in the pantry when I was a kid. The vision of that day has lived in my memory ever since.

It was...unpleasant, to put it delicately.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #4

whitedaisy is on a distinguished road

My Duey really only needed to look at chocolate and the result was disasterous!!! Okay, so maybe it actually took a lick, but that dog would spew out his crate and shoot it through Daisy's crate and it was a very unpleasant task of bathing 2 dogs and cleaning 2 crates and trying to keep them from stepping in what was covering the floors and dripping down walls.

It happened twice, both times were with the cheap milk chocolate, not the dangerous dark chocolate. I can only assume that he would have had even worse problems with the dark and we became vigilant about keeping it out of his access.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #5

bruinsBoxers will become famous soon enough

Two of mine decided to share a bad of mounds mini candy bars that were planned for halloween . I know there is not much total chocolate in them but it is dark chocolate , neither got the least bit sick .

here some info on choc -
Source: http://tafkac.org/animals/chocolate_and_dogs.html

It is not chocolate itself that is poisonous to dogs, it is the theobromine, a naturally occuring compound found in chocolate. Theobromine causes different reactions to different dogs: dogs with health problems, especially epilepsy, are more affected by theobromine than healthy dogs. Theobromine can trigger epileptic seizures in dogs prone to or at risk of epilepsy. The size of the dog will also be a major factor: the smaller the dog, the more affected it is by the same amount than a larger dog. Therefore, toxicity is described on a mg/Kg basis.

Furthermore, theobromine can cause cardiac irregularity, especially if the dog becomes excited. Cardiac arythmia can precipitate a myocardial infarct which can kill the dog.

Theobromine also irritates the GI tract and in some dogs can cause internal bleeding which in some cases kills them a day or so later.

Theobromine is also present in differing amounts in different kinds of chocolate. milk chocolate has 44-66 mg/oz, dark chocolate 450 mg/oz and baking/bitter chocolate or cocoa powder varies as much as 150-600 mg/oz. How much chocolate a dog can survive depends on its weight (and other unknown circumstances). Under 200 mg theobromine per kg body weight no deaths have been observed.

Theobromine will stay in the bloodstream between 14 and 20 hours. It goes back into the bloodstream through the stomach lining and takes a long time for the body to filter out. Because theobromine is eliminated through the liver rather than through the kidneys, it takes a long time to eliminate it.

Within two hours of ingestion, try inducing vomiting unless your dog is markedly stimulated, comatose, or has lost the gag reflex. If your dog has eaten a considerable amount of chocolate, or displays any of the above symptoms, take it to the vet without delay.

In the absence of major symptoms, administer activated charcoal. The unabsorbed theobromine will chemically bond to this and be eliminated in the feces. Burnt (as in thoroughly burnt, crumbling in hand) toast will do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #6

Mesquite451 is on a distinguished road

My sister's female boxer once demolished a whole bag of Hershey's kisses (including the foil wrappers). She didn't seem bothered in the least. She left some sparkly droppings in the yard though.

Tags
chocolate, dog, easter, ilness